Top 3 Joke Pages
PsychInquiry is a great psychology website for high school teachers. It is a website that compliments the 5th edition Psychology textbook authored by Peter Gray. The organization of the website is quite simple. There are 17 chapters. Each chapter has a list of activities and quizzes.
High school teachers can incorporate some of the activities into a unit. The quiz questions also can be selected for their own assessments.
For the following activity, I have created questions for the students to answer. The directions and questions are shared in google.docs. At the end of the period, I view each student’s google.docs. The assessment is more of an effort grade than anything. The material also will be on a test.
The activities are well organized and interesting. The students seem to enjoy them, so there are very few problems with student focus.
Below is the information I shared with my students in a google.doc.
Today you are going to complete some on-line activities. Create a google.doc to answer the questions. (Once you open the document, go to file and select make a copy. This will allow you to edit the new document that you now own.)
This material will be on the test, so be sure to TAKE YOUR TIME and read carefully.
A great activity for students to learn the steps and process of learned helplessness.
1. Write the name of Slide 1:
2. Who is the researcher associated with Learned Helplessness?
3. Write the title of Slide #2:
4. Click play. Describe the animation.
5. Slide #3: What happened after a few trials?
6. Slide #4: Describe the variation to the experiment.
7. What is meant by the term naive dog.
8. Slide #5: Write a classical conditioning equation for this slide terms: light, shock, avoid pain / jump.
9. Slide #6: Describe the new variation to the experiment. What did Seligman do to the dogs?
10. Slide #7 What expectation had the dogs formed that lead them NOT to attempt to avoid the pain?
11. What 2 ethical questions were raised with this experiment?
12. What do the initials APA represent?
A worksheet provided by the website that might also be useful.
The above study raises ethical issues about the treatment of animals in testing. It might be a good opportunity to introduce your students to the ethical guidelines for the treatment and testing of animals.
I hope you enjoy. Be sure to check back for additional ideas for teaching high school psychology.
My Town Tutors is a website that connects parents with teachers who tutor. If you are a teacher who tutors, for a limited time, you can register for using promo code: usteachers. Teachers set the hourly and keep 100% of the fees! One of our teachers made $5,000 last year tutoring.